Port and first dose Friday.
Today. I didn't sleep much last night. Ruby woke up once but went right back to sleep. Got her up and she was happy :) All was well until the nurses came in to do the IV. She knows now...crying, lots of crying. The PET scan machine is in a trailer, so they can take it to multiple locations. We went out and she played on the ipad for a while while her sedation was being infused. After a few minutes I asked her to put it down for a second, and in that second she zonked. As I went to lay her down on the machine she woke and just cried and cried. I sang Give Said the Little Stream and she quieted down.
I went out to wait and was greeted by Mark's sister Annie (and a smoothie, thank you). Good to see family and have someone to talk to. Not long after she left, Ruby was done and I went back to see her. We had the same nurse as when she had her MRI a few weeks ago. Same recovery, very different circumstances. She told me about her 12 year old boy who is doing a trial drug for a blood clotting disorder and they fly to California once a week, and will be for a few months. Everyone has a thing. I'm so thankful we get to stay in Utah. Anyway, Ruby was taking forever to wake up, and anything I said she started screaming crying at me. So, I figured we might as well leave and get her all unhooked.
sorry, this is a sad one
We went up to the 4th floor to the Oncology clinic to see if Dr Holly was around. As I walked in the clinic, I felt so out of place. We should NOT be here is all I could think. I felt like cancer germs were surrounding me and I needed to get out, like claustrophobia. I turned and walked out to wait by a sunny window. We read a book. Although I didn't have an appt with Dr Holly, she took time to see us. We talked in a hallway for a while, Ruby started waking up more and eating. We went to a room in the clinic and I asked more questions.
No, the images hadn't been read yet so I'm not sure what they show. She'll call me later today.
Yes, she'll be getting a port. Likely tomorrow or Friday, and will also get her first dose of Nivo at that same visit. It is a 90 minute infusion. Since she's not part of the trial, she doesn't have to do all the lab draws on other days, so although she'll have a port, I hope it won't have to be accessed very often. It can be scary for little people to have their port accessed, but I'd rather have it be painless and scary, than painful and scary. Its hard to see her be so afraid regardless.
No, we have no idea what her chances are of responding and how her body will react. Yes, there are side effects, but we don't know if she'll have any/some.
port is on the right, it goes under the skin
snoozin on the way home
Thank you for your thoughts and love. I haven't cried yet today, so I know its helping :)
3 comments:
You never leave my thoughts. We loved our port and have a few tricks. I will call you. We loved Millie's.
So happy you get to stay in Utah. You will come to love the port!! My daughter had leukemia at 4 and had to have chemo for 2 1/2 years. We were actually sad when it was taken out. Out emla cream on itand cover it with a tagaderm 30 minutes before access and she won't even feel it. My daughters nurses were so awesome and tried to include her in her care and that helped. Good luck. ❤️ Praying for you guys.
Patrice Davies
Good job sweet Ruby + mamma! It is not easy to guide your baby through a day like today. All the prayers to you!
Post a Comment