Friday, January 7, 2011

One week on earth


Mark and Dr Steve (his oldest brother).

One week ago sweet Jane was born. I love her! The hospital stay was really nice, we love IMC and the staff there, so it was a little (k, a lot) rough coming home the first night. I am amazed and thankful at how well all of us are doing, even Siri. I'm incredibly proud of her. She has been as good as I had only hoped for, but didn't expect. She is very soft and gentle with the baby and hasn't been jealous (yet) when I hold Jane. I took her to a music class at the library this morning, and Mark took her to get an ice cream cone tonight. I hope she knows how much we love her. Aunt Kerrah gave her scraggle mullet a trim and now she looks so cute!

So the short version of the short labor goes like this...5am, dull contractions. I go to the gym and the store. 10am I go visit my dad, still contractions but nothing too painful. About 12:30ish lunch with Siri. 12:45 these pains are getting bad all of a sudden. I call Mark to hurry home, my dr to tell him we're coming, and Liz, to come be with Siri. 1:15ish, I'm walking down our snow packed lane because I can't get to the hospital fast enough. I jump in the car with Mark and by time we get on the freeway on 13800 S I'm in serious labor-uh, what are those noises coming out of my mouth? About 90th south I tell him to call 911. We start sliding across 3 lanes of traffic about 7200 S due to light snow. We FINALLY get to the hospital and I get to a delivery room. 6 minutes later (1:47pm) our 8lb 21 inch daughter was born! Recovery has been 90x better than with Siri. Although it was scary thinking I was going to have a baby in the car, I'm so thankful for the experience and to know what it feels like to birth a child naturally.

She has hair!

Mark got sick the week after Christmas, and then with the new baby he hadn't really done any training. But, he's back at it in this ridiculously cold weather, and I'm proud of him. It will only get harder as his workouts get longer. Some people think I'm a crazy person for 'letting' him do this, but its something I would love to do someday too. Everyone needs a challenge. The challenge in this short phase of my life just happens to be working to get as much sleep as I can and breastfeeding (which is going so much better this time around by the way).

And can I just say how incredible the Relief Society of the church is?! I can't believe how kind our ward has been, especially since we've only been here 9 months. We had dinner brought to us every night this week, it was a huge help and gift. I also am about speechless with how thankful I am to my sister Liz for her help the last few weeks. She was willing to come help me and when I asked her to sleep over with Siri in the hospital, help me with our broken down car (twice), and visit me when Mark was gone working... she was(and is) always there without hesitation. My mom took a day off work on Wednesday to come be with me. Wow, her version of a clean bathroom is so much better than mine. I actually want to take a bath in my tub now. Thanks mom :)

5 comments:

Kat said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

The Jacksons said...

Thank goodness for sisters/best friends for eternity. Liz and Ali ... and now Siri and Jane!

Thackeray's said...

I liked the comment "what were those sounds coming out of my mouth" because I screamed louder than I would ever dare when I had Russell. I can't wait to talk to you in person!

Shelly said...

Wow girl that is quite the story of the birth! you are amazing and an amazing mommy. I am so happy that everything is going so well for you. How bout this. I totally have been thinking that I definitely want to do the ironman some day too! How bout you and I do one together? Like it? So glad things are going smoother then with Siri. love ya. Hope to see you in a month!!!

Anonymous said...

Ali - Congrats! I don't know if you know me but I am friends with Liz and my sister-in-law is your cousin Kate Santos.
We are so happy for sweet baby Jane and are way impressed with your strength in handling the speedy birth of her.
So happy for you.

Sedra