133 miles south of the Oregon border and 96 miles inland.
That's where we spent a weekend in August for my brother in law's sister's wedding and we loved it.
We left the 2 eldest at home (big thanks to cousin Megan, Uncle Bill, Aunt Jenn, Mom and John) and felt like a young couple with just Ruby in tow. We flew into Redding (it only has 4 gates, only 1 of which looked like was actually being used) then visited the Shasta Dam the next day and met up with everyone who came into town for the wedding. We drove about an hour west of Redding to get to Jane's house (Dan's mom), which is the house Dan and Kelly grew up in. Think winding road following by a dirt lane followed by another dirt lane.
Jane is a such a welcoming hostess and we felt at home. The next morning I wanted to call Martha Stewart and tell her I was living her next magazine spread....sun coming up to the yellow flowers in the field, fresh squeezed orange juice, the smell of bacon coming from the omlet cooking in the cast iron skillet on the stove, good friends and family around (while enjoying it all without internet or cell reception). We all helped get a few things ready for the wedding, Liz and I worked out, went to a swimming hole, went "into town", and had the rehearsal dinner. The last 2 nights we stayed at the Indian Creek Lodge, which is SO much prettier in real life than anything you see on the website. When you went out the back door there was an covered patio table and bbq to use, but beyond that was grass leading out to the Trinity river. Beau.ti.ful. We picked wild blackberries (I used to think the ones from Costco were pretty good until this point) that were sweet and juicy.
The day of the wedding Liz Dan Sam and I visited Dan's elementary school in Douglas City (which isn't really a city-it has a few streets and a few hundred residents). In all of Trinity County there are less than 14,000 residents. I love this side of California. Mark was the photographer (thus it was easier to have Ruby and I tag along:) and I just enjoyed the evening so much. They had the ceremony (I had tears through most of it) on the lawn and food/dancing on their huge stone patio. We're so happy for Kelly and Andy. It was magical.
*An unfortunate side note- most of us that were at the rehearsal dinner got sick starting early Sunday morning with some evil 24 hour virus. Thankfully Mark was ok, and my systems thoroughly cleaned themselves out by time we had to get on the plane to come home. Oh goodness how happy I was to feel so weak and dehydrated in my own bed.
First, do yourself a favor and look at what you eat then learn about it... maybe watch a few documentaries like Hungry For Change, Food Matters, and Escape Fire. Then, see if you think its a good idea to try to eat more real food?
I'm sorry I'm such a hippie on a soap box! I've think I've made the switch for our family to organic milk, which if you see the freakin' price tag you'll know that is serious bu$iness. I'm most certainly in some sort of transition right now in how we eat and how I personally workout. All I know is that it is for the better because today I ran 8 miles without having run much distance lately and felt great, and I've slowly been losing weight for the last 2+ months. I'm still getting past craving treats (and that may never go away-hello movie popcorn scent wafting right when you walk in so my brain goes crazy for buttery popcorn) but my view is so different. Candy, pasta, soda, many baked goods, processed food...I see it as pointless, whereas before I'd eat what I wanted and try to stop before I felt too bleh, and then be sad because I ate all those empty calories. And its not that I don't/won't eat any certain foods, its just easier to say no to stuff that isn't great for me. It definitely requires more effort as far as planning and preparation, but worth it. Scary, I just wrote all that for people to see. What if I go back to my bad habits? Sounds too gross right now so I'll stick with what I wrote.
and
Mark and I are heading up our neighborhood's annual Fall Harvest party that is this coming weekend. I am SO not crafty or creative, and he will be out of town anyway. What was I thinking? If you're in the neighborhood and reading this, you are now committed to coming :) Wish us luck.
1 comment:
It was sooo nice to meet you guys in person at the wedding. Im glad you enjoyed your stay in our mountains. I agree with you about food, it is a hard thing to give up crap food but i know i feel much better when i eat better fuel:)good luck!
Post a Comment