Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Two Months and her name

Happy 2 month birthday Ruby dear!

2 months
I'll take her to the pediatrician tomorrow for her 2 month appt and will update with her stats later.  The good thing about vaccines (which I fully believe in and support) when they're babies is that they don't know what's coming when the needle is in the room and you can easily put a binkie in their mouth. The bad thing is that they sometimes scream like mad and you can't console them with a sucker or ice cream :)
p.s. home healthcare came and picked up the cardiac machine they sent us home with. Uh, yeah, didn't use that, ever.


I don't know if I've yet explain how Ruby Elizabeth got her name. My lovely Grandma, Naomi Fetzer, was one of 11 kids. She had twin sisters named Pearl & Ruby.  I have fond memories of Aunt Pearl. Her big fancy car she'd drive to our house on Christmas Eve to have dinner with us. Liz and I always wanted to ride back to Grandma and Grandpa's house with her-it was like being in a boat. I never knew Aunt Ruby, and haven't done any research, yet, to find out more about her but I liked her name more than Pearl's. So in a way, she's named after both of Grandma's sisters. And the Elizabeth part...we've got Elizabeth's all over in the family tree that we are so glad Ruby can be named after, but it is primarily after my almost-twin, Liz :)

pause...just Googled Ruby Steenblik Hanks and found her obituary here. Wow. I just found out so much more...Ruby Hank's granddaughter is my next door neighbor, which makes us second cousins! I called her and we chatted for a while. I then called my mom to find out more. Ruby sounded like a very smart independent and lovely woman. I'm hoping to go next door and see any pictures she may have of Ruby, her grandmother, and anyone else from our family. I'm so excited about this, I'm not sleepy anymore (I need to be in bed right now to sleep before babygirl wakes up to eat again)!

On to less important things...a friend called me to sub in their outdoor soccer game tonight. I felt like a jelly filled donut out there but had so much fun! We may, or may not, have lost the game because I couldn't run back on defense fast enough.

hanging with the baby brigade in Midway

special date with our firstborn


"He's a fantastic chef. I think he's better than Daddy, but don't tell. It's a secret."

"If the skates fit, and you can swirl around, can you take them home with you?"

yard work to get rid of the mud puddle by our fence. thank you deans and  mr. shuman

this is real




2 comments:

Dan and Liz said...

Hopefully you know how honored it feels to be (middle) named after that sweet babe. When I told Dan, I'm pretty sure I was crying our of pure joy and happiness :)

Jenn said...

Died laughing at this last picture! This has to be my favorite family photo ever.