Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Today's Special...ist-Dermatology

Today's doctor visit? Dermatology.
Was it useful? Mmmm, sure.

Like my pediatrician said, it's good for your doctor to be interested in you, but you don't want to be interesting to your doctor. That means they don't know what they're talking about. That is generally true with Ruby. We go see different doctors. They ask a ton of questions, they look at her mass, and we leave with the same "just wait longer, not sure what it is" conclusion.

Dr.Vanderhooft did tell us it's ok to stop wrapping her head but to keep the back moist with some vaseline and a patch of Tegaderm (super thin clear tape). Hopefully now some of Ruby's hair on the front of her head will have a chance to grow in so Jane and Siri won't keep saying how she's bald like Uncle Steve :)

It is good though to see the doctors once in a while to keep us grounded as to what could still happen. I like to think that we'll wait as long as is needed, they'll do surgery, and she'll be totally normal. But in reality, they don't know 100% that it's benign. There could be an array of complications from surgery, and we don't know how doing surgery or not will affect her neck and normal movement. I know its a very very small chance, but there is potential for permanent disability. I'm sticking to my "She'll be totally normal one day" train of thought.


After Ruby's appt I called to see if the primary nurse she had in the NICU was working. Nancy met us down in the lobby and I gave her a big hug. I still feel like she did so much good for Ruby, and Mark and I. We may not have gotten out of there as soon as we did without her.

In other news, I took Siri and Jane outside in the biting cold this morning to do yardwork. After five minutes Siri called it quits and went inside. This afternoon she watched Angelina Ballerina at a neighbor's house. She came home, put on ballet clothes and insisted on dancing outside. She was out there for about an hour and somehow wasn't at all cold :)  Jane-o spent her day in 'undies' and stayed clean and dry all day. She'll do anything for a few mini marshmallows or a starburst.

wheeler farm on sunday was the first time all 5 of us went anywhere together!

this is what you do when its too cold to play outside
happy birthday to cousin kate!
we got a dump truck full of rocks delivered today! We'll be  making a path from the front to back of our house so you don't have to trample through mud all the time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a doll! I love the boppy picture with those bright eyes!