Today Mark and I took Ruby to see Dr.Grimmer. He heard back from Dr.Fletcher from Harvard and his findings were similar to Dr.Coffins (the pathologist from Vanderbilt) and the final diagnosis...
Atypical nodular melanocytic proliferation
| measuring at her appt today |
Also known as, a really bizarre mole. (Dr.Fletcher gets referred to from all over the world, and has seen just 4-5 of these in his entire career.)
We were relieved and excited to hear this news! Since the biopsy sample was so small, they will still keep a close eye on the growth and aggression of the mass, but they are confident it is benign. Dr.Grimmer suspects they wouldn't consider surgery until Ruby is at least 6 months old and depending on what the mass does, it could be much longer. They'll do whatever is best for her health and development. A huge relief I see in this diagnosis is that they probably won't have to remove all the neck muscle that the mass has grown into whenever they do surgery.
As for now we will meet with Dr.Grimmer every month, and will start seeing Dr.Vanderhooft, a pediatric dermatologist. The open 'wound' part of her mass is looking better everyday, and as soon as it is all covered in skin, we can probably just put a headband of sorts on her for aesthetic purposes.
| trying to get chewed up gum out of her pocket while everyone else listens at story time today |
Today Siri found some of the knit Surgilast we use to cover Ruby's head and put it around her head, asking to have a clip just like Ruby. I thought that was so sweet. I cut her a piece and she wore it all evening. What a good sister. Jane spent her day glopping on the hanitizer and asking for cookies and "itouched".
Our Stake Presidency came over tonight to visit us, just to see how we're doing. I continue to be amazed and thankful for our neighborhood and ward. We feel overwhelmingly cared for and blessed.
p.s. the woman a few doors down makes the most amazing bread sticks/rolls/bread bowls/etc. If I ever have to take dinner to someone I'll just add some of her breadsticks to the meal and then the people won't care what else is on their plate.
Today I also noted that I put on my first pair of non-stretchy pants. It wasn't pretty. This certain pair of pants are a little big for me pre-pregnancy so I know I could squish into them. But they are cut sooo like a mom. Like a mom with multiple kids and c section pooch. As soon as I got home I put them in the DI box. Yes I may have that type of body now, but I don't need pants to accentuate it.
Mark goes out of town soon to shoot a wedding in San Diego. I know its work, but as my too-small-to-know-swear-words nephew would say "It's freakin' damn awesome".
We are getting a hang of 3 kids as we get into a routine. I can't say enough how thankful I am that Mark is around, able, and willing to help. He's an extraordinary dad.
8 comments:
So glad to hear the good news! You are awesome, Ali, thanks for being such a great wife to Mark and amazing mom!
That is such a cute picture of mark and ruby!
I love, love that Siri and Jane both wore the net part and a clip. Adorable!
Oh Ali! I got tears reading your blog today! What an answer to prayers (that many of my friends were saying for you). Hang in there!
Great news! So happy for you guys!
Oh Yeah! What a blessing!
Oh that is AWESOME news!!!!!!!
So glad to hear this amazing news! Prayers have been answered. Just for the record, I think you look amazing!
Post a Comment