Friday, April 5, 2013

Wrap


Mark gave me passes to Deer Valley for Christmas (from someone he knows through the wedding biz up there :). But by time we had a window to use them, my belly was too big and the drama with unborn Ruby was too great. You can't let ski lift tickets of any kind go to waste, so Mark borrowed some gear from a neighbor and took Siri up yesterday. They had a blast (minus climbing all those *** stairs in ski boots says Mark).  Siri did awesome and I'm sure Mark did too :)




While they were gone I put Ruby in the baby bjorn and got Janie on her bike to go for a stroll. One part of our street is steep and Jane apparently hadn't learned a good enough lesson yet on haulin' too fast (even though she's already crashed multiple times from too much speed). We had only gone a few yards when I see the speed wobbles come. She swerved, went over the handle bars straight to her head, bike landing on top of her. I was so scared!  She had a sucker in her mouth and I was worried it could have choked her. When she got up she wasn't bleeding anywhere, but her helmet was cracked and the sucker was crushed up in her mouth. I wonder if the sucker actually helped take the impact from her jaw hitting the ground...the rule of biking with suckers is still up for debate.  She is a champ. A few minutes of crying and telling her I'd get her a new treat and she was fine.



special date jazz game

"saving the worms" with Grandma
Ruby girl is doing so well. We haven't weighed her since the pediatrician's office so I don't know how fast she's gaining weight, but she's eating (and pooping!) great.  The open wound part of her mass is slowly growing skin over it and looks better and better. The right side of the mass has always been bigger than the left and seems, to me, to be getting bigger too. Some parts of the mass are soft, some are firm, and some are bumpy.


Intermountain Home Care was supposed to deliver the 'wound supplies' when we got home from the hospital, but days went by and I finally called. Luckily we had enough supplies from the hospital to last, but we ran out of the surgilast (the knit stocking part we put over all the pads and gauze). The size they sent us was too small. I called to let them know and they said it would be a week or more to get it. I called primary's and they couldn't give it to me either, even though they have what we need. So, I called Janet, the charge nurse we know that works in the NICU and she saved the day.
We have a lovely friend who is currently working on prototypes for a headwrap for Ruby so that it can look a bit cuter and be easier to cover her mass. I hope that the wound will completely heal so that we won't have to do all the bandage business and just slip on a styling headwrap for her.

As she gets bigger and stronger I think it will be hard to see her struggle. Today she was on her tummy, lifted her head and it just dropped to the side. Funny for a second that she's 'top heavy', but mostly sad for her.
what you need to wrap ruby

1 comment:

Dan and Liz said...

I wanted to see that video, but it doesn't work! Maybe I can see it from Marks phone later :). Love that Roo bear and so proud of Siri skiing!