Monday, April 28, 2008

Canyonlands





This past Friday at about 5:30 pm we decided that we should take advantage of our unscheduled weekend and hit the road. So we packed up all of our camping equipment and headed south to Moab. We got there around 10 pm, set up our tent and spent a solid night under the stars along with a high percentage of the state's redneck population there for the annual Moab car show.


In the morning, we packed up and headed down to Canyonlands, more specifically the Needles District, and took a mean 11 miler throughout some spectacular rock formations and narrow slot canyons. Although both of us did get a little fried (what's a trip without a second-degree sunburn?!) it was definitely a sweet hike.


This is what happens when your legs don't see the sun for years at a time. Probably not the best thing for the camera.



That night, we hung out in Moab with all the auto-fanatics for about an hour before we were ready to get away from there. So we took our trip back north and camped in Green River. It turned out to be an ideal spot with not too many people and a semi-cool geyser, which didn't do much but bubble for us.



Anyways, it was a sweet trip and we plan to head back down south sometime soon. Our options are:

-the Subway
-Calf Creek Falls
-Arches
-Coyote Gulch

Any suggestions? We are leaning towards the Subway since neither of us have been through it and it sounds simply incredible.

4 comments:

Doug said...

The Subway is excellent. I've done it twice, and its so worth it. Its beautiful down there!

The Jacksons said...

hey - i think we should go down on may 23rd ... i don't have work that monday (the 26th) for memorial day. do you guys have to work? p.s. don't you have to get a permit to do the subway?

Anonymous said...

How fun! I love camping. I would love to do the Subway! I hear its way fun. I like your yoga pose on the rocks and Mark's flamming thigh picture. haha! Miss you guys.

Melissa and Allen said...

Oh my! I had no idea you were expecting! Congratulations! You find out in a few days what you're having! That is so exciting. My bet is a boy because EVERYONE I know is having boys but I hope its a girl because our boys need someone to marry. Haha. We'll have to do play dates together or something. Congrats!