One year ago.
Late the night before I got a call from Liz that she'd had some contractions. About 3am on July 10, 2012 she excitedly called to say they were on their way to have the baby. I couldn't sleep and called Dan to check on things and see how Liz was. I've never, ever, had such a sinking crushing feeling inside my body before. Naomi was stillborn and Liz was being rushed to the hospital.
Heartbroken.
Time has passed. We have grieved. Liz, Dan, and Sam have figured out how to carry on.
Liz Dan Sam please know of how many of us are thinking of you today, and that we think of you often all the other days. Little reminders, here and there, of Naomi's absence.
Happy Birthday Naomi girl, we miss you dearly.
I wanted to share what I said at her graveside funeral one year ago...
"I don't understand the fine details of what happens after our physical bodies lose life on this earth, or why we each will have our lives end differently and at different times. But, I believe that there is much much more beyond what our eyes can see. I don't understand how Naomi can be here with us, but you must know that she is. So sweet girl, I want to talk to you.
None of us got to know you much outside of the womb, but you became a part of our lives the minute Liz and Dan told us they were expecting you. Since then, you've become a wonderful member of our family. You know the smell of bacon and eggs cooking in the morning. You probably love fruit from what your mom ate. You went on so many walks to the park that I'm sure you have the route memorized. You know your funny big brother likes to say “I can't want to” when he doesn't want to do something. You know the Cat in the Hat story and the songs from the show Dinosaur Train. And you know that your brother heard your heart beating so many times.
You took a shortcut home. Right now I don't know why, but you sure have made a huge space in our hearts for such a little girl.
Naomi, along with all other infants like her, are literally perfect. I believe that there is purpose to each of our lives. Not just to live life, but to learn, to be in families, and to continue living after our experience on Earth. Just as Liz and Dan love their two kids so dearly, God, our Heavenly Father has an infinite amount of love for each of us. I'm so grateful to be in the family I am with the people that are in it. Naomi had lots of hair, and the cutest little nose-she definitely belongs in Liz and Dan's family. I'm sure she has so much gratitude for you, to creating her and bringing her into your family.
Liz and Dan you are good, you are strong, you are happiness. The love you have for each other and your kids is beautiful. I have seen armfuls and armfuls of love poured out upon you guys. I know that you will able to reciprocate that love and help others who have and will be in the same circumstances. Know that here today are moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends that grieve with you and for you. Who love you Sam, Dan, Liz and Naomi."
No comments:
Post a Comment