Wednesday, March 13, 2013

You can't always get what you want

As I sat thinking about what I could title this post the Rolling Stones song came into my head...
Oh, you can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

and like my mom reminded me...if you pray for the doctors to do their best and know how to help Ruby (which I do), you have to accept what they are trying to do.

So Dr.Grimmer called today and said what I wasn't surprised to hear, I just was hoping to hear something else.
They don't have the biopsy results. They are sending them to one of the best doctors in the world, his words not mine, who specializes in soft tissue tumors in children. She is across the country so it probably won't be until early next week that we find out anything else.  They do know that the tumor has 3 main blood sources, all of which are large and substantial (not awesome). If they did surgery they would want to try to embolize some of the veins/arteries a week before and once more before surgery.
BUT
If this is a type of tumor that is benign and won't grow much in relation to how much she'll grow, they think it would be best to wait until she is 6 months old or so so that she will have more blood volume and be able to tolerate surgery better.

oy vey

I spent a great afternoon at the hospital. Went to the NICU parent hour, did more financial stuffnthings, gave Ruby a 'bath', and had a couple cheerful visitors.  Ruby has lost some weight. She used to be over 7lbs but is 6lb 13oz today so the nurse talked about maybe adding a powder to my breastmilk to get her more calories without having to feed her more. She's doing pretty good though, eating about half her feedings from a bottle (and the rest through her tube). While giving her a bath the nurse rewrapped her gauze. I hadn't seen her tumor since she was born (by my own choice) and finally looked at it.  Honestly, its not pretty. It scares me. I feel so helpless and wish I could make it all better. Her hair sure is cute though.




uhhh, yeah. not interested in nursing. at all.

I came home to cheerful girls who I could tell had had sunshine on their faces. It made me so happy to hear all about their play outside today. My mom was cleaning the kitchen, and dinner got delivered soon after.  Mark is with roo bear now for their daily snuggle session.
grandma, the girls, and sam biked to the park

6 comments:

Melissa Bryner said...

She has so much hair!!!! So cute! Sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping to hear:( Still praying hard for all to be well with your sweet family. Love you all!

Ryserk8@gmail.com said...

We pray for you all every day.

kimntwins said...

Sweet baby girl. <3

Meg said...

Hey Ali! Praying for little Ruby every single day! I just wanted to drop you a note to say that I worked with Dr. Grimmer on two occasions and he is awesome. He is one of the main consults on Nora's lump on her neck when they found a huge vein going through it. He put my mind at ease and is totally awesome. He also did Nora's tubes in her ears. I love how intensely he listens, truly a hero. Love reading updates, keep em up. And please let us know if there is anything at all that you need and we'd be happy to help any way that we can.

Cheers~
Meg

Kristen said...

I'm so amazed at how strong you are Ali. I think about you a lot and I'm praying for sweet Ruby and your family everyday. I remember what it was like waiting for Avery's biopsy to come back and just wanted to let you know I am here if you want to talk! I know I felt really alone and that no one really knew what I was going through so if it helps, I kind of do! Please let me know if you need anything!! 801 864 8778

Ali said...

Thank you for your love, and for reading our blog :). As people sympathize and are concerned for us, I feel like it has lifted some of the trial off my shoulders. Love you!